Thousands of Oregon individuals, families and small businesses are getting ready to sign up for health insurance and may access financial help through Cover Oregon this fall. For many, the wait for health coverage has lasted months, or even years. Our goal is to not only to provide access to coverage, but also to make the customer experience as easy, safe and seamless as possible.
Starting Oct. 1, individuals and small businesses will be able to apply for health insurance through an insurance agent or community partner, including Tribal organizations, who has been certified with Cover Oregon. Later in October, Oregonians will be able to apply online without the assistance of community partners or agents, if desired.
To help you keep your information safe and avoid fraud, the Oregon Department of Justice, the Oregon Insurance Division and Cover Oregon recommend the following tips:
- Do not pay for help. There is no charge to use Cover Oregon services, either online or with the help of a certified insurance agent or community partner. If consumers receive an offer to sign up on Cover Oregon for a fee, they should hang up the phone or walk away. Consumers should not give their credit card or banking information to anyone they do not know or did not contact.
- Make sure you are working with a certified Cover Oregon agent or community partner. Referrals to trained, certified representatives will be available at the end of September. Consumers will be able to access this service by calling 1-855-CoverOR (1-855-268-3767) or visiting CoverOregon.com to find help in their area. Information will be available in multiple languages. Consumers are advised to write down and keep the name, company, phone number, mailing address, email address and website of anyone who assists them.
- Protect health care and financial information. Cover Oregon will never visit or call people unannounced to ask for their Social Security number, credit card, or personal health information. Consumers should not share personal, financial or Medicare information with anyone they do not know even if they only ask you to confirm your information.
- Cover Oregon does not offer Medicare. Cover Oregon has no impact on Medicare and consumers cannot enroll in Medicare through Cover Oregon. Consumers should not share their Medicare number or other personal information with anyone who contacts them uninvited. For questions, contact Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
- Remember that you can ONLY get tax credits through Cover Oregon. Oregonians who purchase insurance through Cover Oregon may qualify for tax credits to help cut the cost. No one but Cover Oregon can offer these credits, and there is no charge to apply for the credits.
We are committed to helping Oregonians distinguish between the real Cover Oregon and scammers who may be looking to take advantage of consumers. If you’re ever in doubt, stop and call us toll free at at 1-855-CoverOR (1-855-268-3767) to be sure you’re in good hands.
For more information about this advisory, visit our Consumer Fraud Protection Advisory Press Release.